Sunday, September 4, 2011

"It's Like I Am In A Foreign Country!" ;-)

First let me just say...I know!  So far my record of blogging is not so great.  I set up myself to start blogging several weeks ago but the reality is my plate was too full and I needed to get Melanie off to college and prepare to move.  I knew if I set it up then, though, that I would be committed. I wanted to make sure once I got here I didn't drop the ball and not do it at all.  I knew once I arrived in HK I could take the time to write because the hardest parts were over.  I can even go back as I process the last few months and write about it as I fully realize and review all that has been.  Hopefully, it will be in combination with all that is yet to be and together we can experience this adventure!  I AM HERE...Hong Kong, China.  Yikes!  The title of this blog is tongue-in-cheek cause you know I like to laugh about it all, yet it is very honest.  Much like Dorothy said to Toto...I am not in Windsor, or even California, or even the United States anymore!

I arrived here just shy of one week ago and it has been a whirlwind of things to do to prepare for this day... my first day on my own. Joe had 3 relocation days off still, so he saved them for my arrival to help me settle in.  Thank heaven...there was my new residence to learn about because we live in a huge community of high rises called Bel-Air.  There are residence id's and access cards and learning how to get around and where you are allowed to walk the dog.   I needed several practice runs to just manage to be able to take the dog out for a walk without getting lost.  One of her favorite places to walk is a seaside park but it entails three seperate elevator rides down more than 36 floors and three seperate buildings to get there!

It just happened to work out that I arrived on a week when the smog was at its worst and even Alex had his Cross Country practices canceled because his coach said running with this air quality is equal to smoking a pack of cigarettes.  Oh, great!  I've put a picture up so you can have a sense of the smog. 
The smog is going to be one of my adjustment areas...but I also hope that since I arrived under the worst air quality it can only get better.  There are magnificent views to be seen so I anticipate them. 
I am figuring out how to post more pictures but I have just wasted a whole lotta time and got a whole lotta nothin'.  While I anticipate cooler weather and less smog, you can anticipate me learning how to show you all the pictures I am taking to share!  Hee Hee!

I have to stop here for now.  I have plenty more to say but I get to venture out on my own soon so there are other things to accomplish.  I have the house to finish moving into!!! I will leave you with the memory of the moment I arrived to see Joe and Alex after a two month seperation...After about 18 hours of traveling, 14 in the air, then waiting in line to go through immigration, followed by baggage reclaim and customs, I exited the secured area of the HK airport to see the most handsome guys ever with a huge bouquet of flowers and real hugs!  They have nurtured and supported me every moment since I've arrived and I frequently hear Joe ask, "Do you know how happy I am to have you here?"  So even when it is hard or I feel sad, it is still good.  I borrow a quote from one of my favorite songs by Joni Mitchell, "Well, something's lost but something's gained in living every day." I'm living and I'll talk to you soon.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so happy you sent me this link so I can now live vicariously through you. I cannot imagine what that high rise living is like. I am glad you are safe and you are now living with your family! Can't wait for more pics when you get the time. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, You are an amazing woman who will rise up to any challenge and overcome it!!! I have seen you do that time after time. Keep going!!! I look forward to reading more!!! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Tammy,
    Love to Joe and Alex and Aspen too!!!
    Sounds like our "girls" are doing great and taking Portland by storm.
    As I am sure you will be doing in Hong Kong.
    Look forward to reading your adventures.
    Take good care.
    xoxo Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you, Tammy, and am looking forward to "following" you! Thank god for technology; you will never seem too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I added a Hong Kong clock widget to my Dashboard so I would always know when you are. Please let us know when you want to chat. Gmail chat is free, even half way around the world. Almost like we're there with you.

    Lots of love and hugs, Tammy.

    ReplyDelete